ASQRS Scholarship Info
Congratulations to the 2014 Scholarship Award Recipients!
Charles Carbone is a Junior attending Grove City College, majoring in Mathematics. Andrew Czarniak, a Junior at Rochester Institute of Technology, studies Chemical Engineering. Gwen Goulburn is a Junior studying Medical Technology at SUNY Upstate Medical University.
ASQ 2015 COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS
ASQ Rochester Section promotes the application of quality concepts and methodology in all professional fields through a college scholarship program. Up to four (4) scholarships will be awarded for the 2015-2016 academic year. Scholarships are at least $1,000.
Students who meet the eligibility requirements may complete and submit an application. ASQRS members, if you have a child that qualifies, we encourage his/her application.
The ASQ Rochester Section Scholarship Committee selects award recipients based on the content of application materials. Personal interviews may be conducted. The Committee may decide to award all, some, or none of the available scholarship funds. In all cases, the decision of the Committee is final.
The awards will be presented via a US Mail distribution during May 2015.
To be considered eligible for an award, applicants must meet ALL of the following qualifications:
- Be a full-time undergraduate at an accredited college or university in the United States. The school must be a not-for-profit institution.
- Be currently in the Sophomore or Junior year of studies. If enrolled at a 2-year school (e.g. community college or other) proof of acceptance into a 4-year (bachelors) program is required. The intent is for the applicant to be pursuing a 4-year bachelors’ degree minimum.
- Have a cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale (or the equivalent on a different scale).
- Be a permanent resident of Monroe, Genesee, Livingston, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne, or Wyoming County of New York State - OR - be a child of a member of ASQ Rochester Section 204.
- Submit all required application materials by February 28, 2015.
Applicants for a scholarship award must submit the following information to the ASQ Rochester Section Scholarship Committee:
- A completed application form. Download the attached Microsoft Word document and complete electronically.
- A sealed, official transcript showing grades for the entire enrollment in the current school and prior college(s), including Fall 2014 term. The transcript must be sent directly from the college(s) to the scholarship committee at the US mail address below.
- One letter of recommendation that addresses the applicant’s character and ability. This MUST be written and sent directly from a professor or official from the applicant’s current college, or from a current or recent employer.
- An essay written by the applicant of no more than three pages double spaced, covering the following items:
- Provide a definition of quality, in your own words, as it relates to products and/or services.
- Explain how this concept applies to your life experiences (e.g. college studies, extracurricular activities, work experience).
- Describe how you envision applying this quality concept in a future career.
- Supply any other relevant information.
Note: Quality of the essay is determined with consideration of content, spelling, grammar, organization, and clarity. Please proofread before submitting.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS:
Submit all documents (except transcript) electronically to:
In the event that documents cannot be submitted electronically,
paper copies may be mailed to:
ASQRS Scholarship Committee
PO Box 10117
Rochester NY 14610
Be sure to submit all four required items listed above.
The Deadline for submitting the materials is February 28, 2015.
WHO WE ARE:
The ASQ (American Society for Quality) is the world’s leading membership organization devoted to quality. The mission of the ASQ Rochester section is “to advance individual and organizational excellence in the Greater Rochester Community through education and training in quality principles and technologies, and to promote quality professionalism by members.”